A Complete Guide to Smoking CBD Hemp Flowers

CBD hemp flowers are just like regular cannabis buds but without any of the psychoactive effects of cannabis containing THC.

Modern day cannabis strains, both indica and sativa, have a THC content ranging from 10% on the lower side up to 25% (sometimes even more) on the higher end of the spectrum. THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is the most prominent cannabinoid in the cannabis plant, but it’s also the one that can get you “baked out of your mind” if you’re not careful or accustomed to using it.

A lot of people want to harness the therapeutic properties of cannabis without getting high, so this is where CBD hemp buds come into play. Not only will the plant have a very minimal amount of THC (typically 0.3% or less but that’s not always a guarantee) so it’s unlikely to get you intoxicated, but the CBD can actually counteract any mind-altering effects if the THC does happen to affect you in that way.

Looking for the BEST CBD Flowers?
Subscribe to the CBD Flowers Weekly and get the list of the best CBD flowers, exclusive deals and weekly product reviews.

Benefits and Risks

As expected, high-CBD hemp flower carries the same benefits as most CBD products, although the effectiveness varies. CBD flowers can help relieve symptoms of chronic pain, inflammation, seizures, anxiety, multiple sclerosis, and more. What’s good about smoking CBD flower is that, similar to vaping, the effects are nearly instant. If you’ve ever smoked high-THC flower, you know that you feel intoxicated, relaxed, etc. within just minutes.

Unfortunately, there are some risks associated with smoking CBD hemp buds. Just like when you smoke anything, burning something to point of combustion creates tar and other carcinogens that can be detrimental to your health. Bear in mind that smoking hemp and cannabis is still much safer than smoking cigarettes, hookah, and other tobacco products that are full of harmful chemicals. However, it may not be the best consumption method for pediatric or geriatric patients, or people with respiratory issues.

The Entourage Effect

cbd hemp flowers
Cannabinoids work together in what’s known as the Entourage Effect

To elaborate further on the benefits of CBD hemp flowers, we’ll have to explain a bit about a phenomenon known as the Entourage Effect. This refers to the cumulative benefits of consuming full-spectrum cannabis products as opposed to cannabinoid isolates. While some people like to use products with CBD extract exclusively, research shows that utilizing multiple plant compounds together can actually be much more beneficial.

This is due to the synergistic effect that these plant compounds have when combined. So when you smoke (or vape) the actual flower instead of using pure CBD or THC extracts, you’re getting the full effects of multiple cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids working together to influence each other’s actions within the body. Simply put, when trying to treat certain conditions, the natural plant is perfect just the way it is.

Can it Get Me High or Addicted?

It will most likely not get you high. Really, there’s probably a 99% chance you won’t feel any psychoactive effects (this is my own estimate, not an official statistic by the way). So what’s that 1% variable? The amount of THC in your buds. While most CBD hemp flowers legally have 0.3% THC or less (0.2% if you’re in Europe), some might contain more, in which case, you might feel some mild effects. But once again, that’s a long shot considering that even if it has slightly higher levels of THC, the CBD would counteract any effects. Everyone’s body and mind is different though so nothing can be said with 100% certainty. The most important thing to remember is that if you buy from a trusted merchant (like a CBD Testers verified company for example) you don’t have to worry about your CBD buds have more THC than what’s legal or advertised.

Now on to the topic of addiction. That’s a tricky one. Once again, it’s an extremely slim possibility but considering people can get hooked on absolutely anything they enjoy, it’s still a possibility. On the plus side, you likely won’t deal with physical addiction and withdrawal symptoms like you would with other drugs and it’s even less habit forming than high-THC flower. For the record though, cannabis is often used to help treat addiction symptoms related to other substances, so it’s generally considered safe and non-addictive.

Will I Fail a Drug Test?

Can you fail a drug test from smoking CBD hemp flowers? Probably not, but maybe! As mentioned previously, if the THC content happens to be higher than expected, that could influence drug test results. When you consume THC, the body creates multiple different metabolites, the main two being hydroxy-THC and THC-COOH (scientifically known as 11-Nor-9- carboxy -Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol and read as carboxy-THC). THC-COOH is what standard drug tests are actually testing for, not THC.

Drug tests also are not looking for CBD. Someone who is consuming normal amounts of CBD flower shouldn’t have to worry about failing a drug test. Theoretically, if a person is smoking ridiculously high amounts of CBD hemp flowers, the minimal amounts of THC could build up in their system triggering a positive result. But that’s dubious at best. Just make sure to keep it at a reasonable limit and always buy buds from legitimate companies that send their products out for third-party lab testing. Once again, if you go through companies or buy strains that have been approved by CBD Testers, failing a drug test should be the least of your concerns.

Is There Such a Thing As Recreational CBD Flower?

Yes! A lot of people smoke CBD buds recreationally. Of course it has all the aforementioned benefits, but it’s also quite relaxing and pleasurable. There are many people who simply want to unwind after a long day without feeling the stronger cerebral high associated with THC. Not to mention the fact that some just enjoy the act of smoking, so why not choose something that can actually provide some health benefits while you do it?

So if CBD flower sounds like something you would enjoy but you have no idea where to begin looking, you could definitely benefit from subscribing to our CBD Flowers Weekly Newsletter. Not only will you receive weekly emails with list of the best CBD buds and instructions regarding how and where to purchase them, you can also feel a sense of reassurance knowing that every single bud we suggest has well below 0.2% THC. This is to ensure you’re in compliance with both European and American regulations.


If there’s anything that should resonate most when reading this article, it’s that overall, CBD hemp flowers can have a multitude of therapeutic properties that can treat many different conditions. Although it’s technically not the healthiest way to consume hemp, there are some unique benefits to consuming it this way. If you’re interested in giving it a shot, go for it! CBD buds are becoming increasingly popular, so, if you live in a medical or legal state there are many dispensaries that are starting to include them in their inventories.

Have you, or do you still, use CBD hemp flowers? How has it benefited you? We’d love to hear what you think! Drop us a line in the comment section below.

Subscribe to the CBD Flowers Weekly for the BEST cbd flowers!

Alexandra Hicks
Alexandra is the managing editor and lead writer at CBDFlowers.co. She has always been interested in alternative and natural remedies, and the versatility of cannabis as a healing plant is something that greatly appeals to her. It's for this reason that she decided to work as a cannabis industry journalist and editor, to help spread accurate information about the benefits of this plant.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.





Error decoding the Instagram API json
Error decoding the Instagram API json